Head Lice Vinegar Treatment
Vinegar is commonly used to treat head lice, but is actually often misused, as many people think that it will remove both adult lice and head lice eggs. And people who sell commercial anti-lice products take advantage of this to say that home remedies such as head lice vinegar don’t work.
Now let’s see what vinegar for head lice can do and cannot do.
The truth is that vinegar will not kill adult head lice, because it simply lacks the properties to do so. The acid contained in vinegar might kill nymphs, though, which are young lice that cannot lay eggs yet.
However, vinegar is a very powerful weapon against head lice eggs, called nits. And a vinegar lice treatment is definitely powerful to get rid of head lice eggs. But if you also want to kill adult head lice, you’ll have to use another home remedy such as olive oil and essential oils.
So just remember:
Vinegar will help you get rid of nits or head lice eggs.
Vinegar will NOT help you get rid of adult head lice.
Why is vinegar effective against head lice eggs?
The word vinegar derives from the Old French vin aigre, meaning sour wine. Vinegar is the result of two biochemical processes: alcoholic fermentation, which converts natural sugars into alcohol, and acid fermentation, in which microorganisms present in the air we breathe, convert the alcohol into acetic acid. This acid has antiseptic or germ killing properties. Vinegar usually has an acetic acid concentration of around 5% and is safe to use for head lice.
The acetic acid contained in vinegar will dissolve the exoskeleton (the protective shell of nits) of lice eggs, and they will no longer stick to the hair and will be easy to remove.
What type of lice vinegar can we use?
You can use different types of vinegars for head lice, such as white vinegar, wine vinegar (red or white), or apple cider vinegar.
1. White vinegar and head lice
White vinegar is distilled vinegar. It is plain acetic acid in water, either as a simple chemical mix (usually very cheap or cleaning grade vinegar) or obtained through fermentation of distilled alcohol. It has usually a 5% acidity level. Thus this vinegar is harsh and has a sharp flavor. It is cheaper than other types of vinegar, and it can readily be found in most grocery stores.
The process for a white vinegar lice treatment is very simple. After washing your child’s hair with the white vinegar, wait for a few minutes and rinse. To remove the smell, just make a shampoo. Repeat this process for two days to be sure all nits are gone.
2. Wine vinegar for head lice
White Wine Vinegar: this type of vinegar is light flavored and is used for cooking. Its color can vary from white to pale gold and its acid level varies from 5% to 7%. It is made from the fermentation of real white wine, and thus retains much of its original white wine taste.
Red Wine Vinegar: it has been used for centuries for both medicinal and culinary purposes. Its color can vary from light rose to deep red and its acid level also varies from 5% to 7%.
Here is a good recipe of a wine vinegar lice treatment: put 30 drops of lavender essential oil in 25cl good wine vinegar. Let macerate for 7 days, then shake vigorously and rub the head (you can put the mixture in a spray bottle) mornings and evenings with a few drops of the lotion …lice hate the smell so this should also help you get rid of adult lice apart from removing their eggs.
3. Apple cider vinegar and head lice
Make a rinse with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (15 ml) and 1 cup water (250 ml).
What apple cider vinegar to choose for head lice?
Your best bet is to buy an apple cider vinegar which is not filtered, not pasteurized, and made from organic apples. This is because it will most of the time have a 5% acid concentration, which is what you want. A higher concentration would not be so safe to apply to your scalp, and a lower concentration would not be as effective to unglue the nits from your hair.
Is vinegar safe to use?
Vinegar is a natural organic bi-product of fruits, vegetables and grains. It is therefore edible and biodegradable. It is very safe for the environment, for family members, especially those with asthma, and around young children. It doesn’t contain harmful toxic chemicals.
Vinegar will sting your eyes if sprayed directly into them, so direct contact with eyes should be avoided. Vinegar will not, however, cause any short or long-term damage to your eyes.
Using vinegar to remove head lice will be effective because vinegar dissolves whatever glue lice use to lay eggs on the hair shaft. Don’t forget to comb your hair and rinse it with equal parts of water and vinegar after the vinegar lice treatment for maximum effectiveness.